The Era (跨時代) (kua shi dai)
Release Date: 18th May 2010
Jay Chou's long awaited 10th album that coincides with his 10th year in the music business. A celebration of the incredible music this amazing artist has produced over the last decade. In this album he tries some new styles bringing a completely fresh and new side that listeners have not heard before.
1. The Era (跨時代) (kua shi dai)
2. Said Goodbye (說了再見) (shuo le zai jian)
3. Fireworks Cool Easily (煙花易冷) (yan hua yi leng)
4. Free Instructional Video (免費教學錄影帶) (mian fei jiao xue lu ying dai)
5. Long Time No See (好久不見) (hao jiu bu jian)
6. It Rains All Night (雨下一整晚) (yu xia yi zheng wan)
7. Hip Hop Air Hostess (嘻哈空姐) (xi ha kong jie)
8. I Weep. My Emotions Are In Bits And Pieces (我落淚。情緒零碎) (wo luo lei. qing xu ling sui)
9. Love's Flight Diary (愛的飛行日記) (ai de fei xing ri ji)
10. Directed And Acted By Yourself (自導自演) (zi dao zi yan)
11. Superman Can't Fly (超人不會飛) (chao ren bu hui fei)
The long awaited and highly anticipated 10th album from Jay Chou. With a year having gone past you could be forgiven for thinking Jay had forgotten about the music industry with his exploits in Hollywood but you would be wrong.
1. 跨時代 (The Era) - A song to prove to everyone who consistently criticized his inability to change his style, that he indeed has it in him to try new things out. In this case Jay has experimented with the infamous autotune, a feature so heavily abused in music in America it has almost become a standard. But in China autotune is still a relatively new phenomenon although it has been adopted and become popular in other Asian countries such as South Korea. For me Jay's experiment is neither a success or a failure, the song itself is good but autotune does not make it any better or worse. The vampire theme is also a very laboured and overdone concept.
2. Said Goodbye (說了再見) - A sad love song about two people parting ways, this song is simple, both lyrically and in melody but that is what is good about it. Sometimes it's easy to overcomplicate lyrics with unnecessary words that hide the intention behind the sentences.
3. Fireworks Cool Easily (煙花易冷) - A very sad - almost depressing - love song about a monk reminiscing about his former lover who has passed away. As usual Vincent Fang's lyrics are deep and difficult to comprehend but once you understand the true meaning behind the words, the lyrics really paint an amazing visual.
4. Free Instructional Video (免費教學錄影帶) - A blues, country song that Jay wrote after being influenced during his time in America. This is definitely a new style Jay has not tried before, it's refreshing and fresh, he even throws in a few English words in there for good measure. This is a bit of a hit and miss song, you either love it or hate it.
5. Long Time No See (好久不見) - A song supposedly written for Jolin Tsai, it's a simple song about making up with a girl. Jay Chou has written very sweet and sincere lyrics to this song, it's easy to think he's written it from his own personal experience. One of the best aspects to this song is the Taiwanese part in the middle, Jay has very cleverly written it as if a third person is commenting on the matter and this is differentiated with the use of Taiwanese. This is easily one of my favourites on the album.
6. It Rains All Night (雨下一整晚) - A song that starts off with a simple guitar and slowly builds up to a colourful Chinese style song. This song is all about Jay's performance, he hits those high notes perfectly. The background instruments and arrangement of the song are also things to be admired. This is one of those songs that get better each time you listen to it.
7. Hip Hop Air Hostess (嘻哈空姐) - A raunchy sexy song about a flirtatious air hostess. Again Jay Chou makes use of the autotune feature but unlike in track one he uses it throughout the song, a bad decision in my book. It's not one of my favourites that's for sure.
8. I Weep. My Emotions Are In Bits And Pieces (我落淚。 情緒零碎) - A love song about rejection, I dismissed this song at first as it sounded a lot like his older songs, but after giving it more of a chance, the song really grows on you. The arrangement in this song is great, using just the right instruments and in the right amount.
9. Love's Flight Diary (愛的飛行日記) - A duet with Gary Yang, Jay already did a duet with him in his previous album. I wasn't a fan of the last song they did together but this one is definitely a lot better, their voices work well together.
10. Directed And Acted By Yourself (自導自演) - Jay Chou wrote this because he needed a song related to cars as he had just borrowed the Citroen GT. This is a classic Jay style song, he sings it so laid back.
11. Superman Can't Fly (超人不會飛) - After many years suffering at the hands of the paparazzi and having to play the good guy every time, Jay finally expresses his true feelings through his song. Jay talks about his endless frustration with always being misunderstood and having to keep up with appearances. The lyrics are genuine and gives you an insight into how hard it is being a star as popular as Jay Chou. The song itself is in deceptively happy tone considering the lyrics, a big plus for the song is the superb background music during the bridge and the end.
Overall, this album is easily the best album Jay Chou has produced in the last few years. The album is well balanced and tries just enough new things without over-experimenting. It's worthy of being his 10th anniversary album and worth the year-long wait.
WOW I LOVE THIS ALBUM, sound so good every single song!!!! what an amazing voice, and all those other talents he has, amazes me so much!
jay , i very like you and want to listen your song every day. i think that u will compose and sing romantic for all people in 2011 .
Jay Chou is the best :)
...jay you always be no.1 in my life....because u like no other...!!!! thx for all this year....!!!!
i like all his songs. Very nice and the video very unique.=D
Just my personal opinion
1. 跨時代 (The Era) (kua shi dai)
2. 說了再見 (Said Goodbye) (shuo le zai jian)
3. 煙花易冷 (Fireworks Cool Easily) (yan hua yi leng)
4. 免費教學錄影帶 (Free Instructional Video) (mian fei jiao xue lu ying dai)
5. 好久不見 (Long Time No See) (hao jiu bu jian)
6. 雨下一整晚 (It Rains All Night) (yu xia yi zheng wan)
7. 嘻哈空姐 (Hip Hop Air Hostess) (xi ha kong jie)
8. 我落淚。情緒零碎 (I Weep. My Emotions Are In Bits And Pieces) (wo luo lei. qing xu ling sui)
9. 愛的飛行日記 (Love's Flight Diary) (ai de fei xing ri ji)
10. 自導自演 (Directed And Acted By Yourself) (zi dao zi yan)
11. 超人不會飛 (Superman Can't Fly) (chao ren bu hui fei)
overall 95/110 86% so 4.5/5
Albums starts with 跨時代 and really wow the listeners. Love the blues in 免費教學錄影帶 , love the ballet in 說了再見, love the music in 雨下一整晚, love the lyrics style in 好久不見, love the catchy lyrics in 嘻哈空姐 (tends to play a lot in your mind after a few listening "coffee,tee or me"), 愛的飛行日記 and 超人不會飛 are so relaxing to listen to, 煙花易冷 is slow and sad, 我落淚，情緒零碎 is one of my favorite although I wasn't amazed with the intro music at first, and lastly, 自導自演 is just so Jay Chou-ish.